Monday, December 10, 2012

Good News....Chemo Round 19

     We are considering todays news as good news.  The best we could hope for is for Mark to continue to do rounds of Ifosfomide.  And he will.  The chemo is working on most of his tumors and we will continue with at least two more rounds of this.  Even when this drug stops working there are a couple more chemo regiments to try although they don't have the same success rates as the ones we've already used.  We have definately "bought" time.

     Our good news always seems peppered with some bad news, and I'll share that too.  There are two new lesions in the bone, one in another rib, and one in his pelvis.  There are no plans to radiate but they will discuss options at the monthly sarcoma meeting.  While it is true that most tumors are shrinking, there are 'several' tumors slightly growing.  I don't like reading the report and seeing phrases like 'worsening metastases', and 'new septal lines in the upper lung zones' (fluid and inflamation).  No one knows exactly how many tumors Mark has, but the number is somewhere around 18.  Today we start round 19 of chemo, that seems like such a high number.  When we started chemo, more than one doctor told us we'd probably do "4 or 5 rounds".  Hard to believe we're at 19.  The largest tumor is in the primary site (left hip) and is 4.5 cm.  The largest lung tumor is 3 cm.

     So, here we sit at the Huntsman Infusion Center with the cute nurses wearing holiday earrings and light up santa hats. Somehow it does make this experience a little better.

4 comments:

  1. Crying with you as I read this. Thanking heaven for the good news and trying to focus on that. I love you guys.
    Big Hug.
    ~K
    Oh btw - My Cute Cousin Cassidy is a nurse at Huntsman, but I'm not sure in what department.
    Cassidy Clawson Kotobalavu - that name would be hard to miss on a name tag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LaDena, my prayers continue to be with you. Hugs and love from 300 East.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how I was so blessed to have you and Mark come into my life. I am so happy for your good news today, even if it is bitter sweet.....I can't imagine 19 rounds, in any kind of shape, and to have the stamina and faith you both still have is truly an inspiration I can take with me for the rest of my life.
    Love you guys and your super cute kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lord have mercy...19 rounds? Sending you and Mark my virtual hugs - wishing and hoping for the best. Love, Jason

    ReplyDelete