Saturday, December 1, 2012

Music = My Therapy

 I have a lot of talented friends.  The kind that inspire me and teach me how to grow and improve in many areas of my life.  Music has always been a comfort and joy to me.  I love and appreciate lots of different music.  I've written songs since I was in high school.  Over the years I've sort of found my niche.  I don't claim to be a good lyricist, songwriter, guitar player or singer, but I can do enough to create, expressing myself in a healing way.  I love the process!

My musical friends Jay Keller and Dan Smith have invited me to participate in thier musical creative sessions where we work on orginal songs and challenge eachother to improve (wink, to the "Tempo Nazi" who shows me how to keep a regular, steady beat!)  The constructive critism and brainstorming of ideas is really helpful!  We'll also share songs we love from other artists, and just jam together. 

Dan has been helping us record our music, which is a huge bonus because a traditional recording studio costs beaucoup bucks and someone like me would waste a lot of time there just figuring out what I need and how to do it.  Dan is the man, he just tries a lot of stuff and we lay down different tracks.  It's a little scary, but also really exciting, to hear my songs this way.  It has really inspired me to keep writing new material.  You can imagine, I have a lot of life experience lately to draw from!

My current project is a song called "Disappear" that is my processing as best I can, loss and grief.  My thoughts are of course about Mark, but I also think heavily of my friend Holly and how painful this time is for her.  There are no words to heal her heart, only seeking ways to survive.  I don't like the word 'survive'  it is like the body is there but the person has been broken into a million pieces.   Turns out I know a few amazing women who have lost the love of thier lives, I honor them for thier ability to sacrifice and somehow live on.  For Holly, Stephanie, Heather, Jenny, Claudia, Sharon, and many others who know this type of grief and loss; this song is for you.  Here are the lyrics, and when it's put together, I'll post the recording. :)
Disappear
I watch the rain
my eyes anticipate tears
raindrops fall in puddle
in circles of acceptance
and proves to me how easily
I can disappear
My thoughts are just words of people
talking too fast
I don't feel a destiny
that once felt heaven blessed
Hold me now
if you could, hold me now
would my fight and fear disappear
to breathing and being?
Isn't clear if I'll disappear to memories or healing.
I watch the ground
my heart stalled
by a burden of tears
Sometimes we live
where tumbleweeds and people
are so unattached and
matter-of-fact
that I disappear.
For now I hold back
let the flock fly out in front
and flow like that
in the draft that pulls me up
til I'm strong enough to soar out on my own again.


Dan, Jay and JD jamming

Dan recording Jay who is laying down a drum track to my song "Into the Blue"

Dan playing my purple guitar while Jay plays my Djembe, they always sound great even when goofing around.

No comments:

Post a Comment