Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Day of Rest

"Come unto me all ye who are weary, and heavy laden, and I will give you rest."  Matt  11:28 (look, my name is in this scripture!)

We need rest today.  Mark was good, relatively speaking, for the 24 hours after the drainage of his right lung.  We had dinner at the Keens, and I stayed home Saturday and worked in the garden with Mark sitting in a chair near me.  I want to thank Beck for running Aubrie to her dance competition, helping me in the garden, and taking Amari and Ava to a birthday party.  I also want to thank my mom for taking the little girls in the morning. Thank you to Suzy for bringing Aubrie back from Tremonton.  Thanks to Karen for a big hug and big chocolate supply.  Thanks to the ward for doing the awesome mini-missions that Andrew, Aubrielle and Ammoriah got to attend.  They had a blast "serving" in Italy, Washington D.C. and Holland.  They had great stories to share with us.

By Saturday night things changed quickly.  Mark was leaned forward in his chair trying to get more oxygen,  he wasn't talking so I knew he was hurting.  We sat together for awhile then he asked for Gatorade, so I jumped in the car and grabbed some in my pjs and flip flops.    I asked him if he wanted to go to the ER or try to make it until Monday and go to the Huntsman, he said neither.  He doesn't really want me around when he is like this, but he needs me.  I can't really talk to him, I can't hug him, kiss him, hold him or tell him how I'm feeling.  I sit 'alone' in the dark wondering if I'm doing all I can and how to best love him and serve him.  I go to bed late at night with a cry-headache.  Needless to say, I have terrible dreams. 

This morning he was doing a little better.  He got a bath and that seemed to help.  We both rested and kept the kids mellow and happy.  This afternoon he surprised me by stating he wanted to teach his class.  I immediately thought "no way!" but realized that this is so important to him that he had prayed for strength to do it in our family prayer.  I knew not to argue with his decision and said that I would go with him and make sure he was alright. I helped him get dressed for church.  He slowly buttoned up his white shirt and adjusted his tie.  He looked me in the eye and said, "I love wearing the uniform for the army of God.  To be called to serve Him and teach His message." That is so Mark.  Of course, that made me cry.  He was exhausted just going up the stairs into the church.  He meditated right up until he gave the lesson, which was "Are you prepared to meet God?"  I brought a pack of tissues, because this was not going to be easy to discuss right now (for me).  It was beautiful.  Most of the lesson was a discussion of how to balance complacency and zeal in the gospel. 

Now we are resting.  Tonight we may go to the ER and tomorrow we may go to the Huntsman.  Right now we are just resting.  It is good. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh LaDena,
    Mark truly is too perfect for this world. I just love you guys and pray fervently for you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the hardest struggles produce the greatest capacities in your heart to feel the depths and heights of love. I can't help but feel that you and Mark have such enormous capacity to love. Not as the common interpretation dictates, but as extraordinary and hard to describe as the unknown universe. I know that prayers are reaching our Father in Heaven. I know that comfort and peace are abundant, but God isn't done with you guys yet, that is why Mark insisted on teaching his class, because angels sometimes have to touch a life on a mortal level. Mark is doing the Lords work through his unique and powerful spirit. Mark is unique and special. I too pray for your comfort and peace, I am not alone. Many people, friends and strangers, pray for you two and your family. God bless you two angels for the work you are doing here. You deserve every blessing that comes your way, may they be plentiful. You both not only touch lives, you touch spirits and souls.

    ReplyDelete