Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chemo Round 16

     We've been here since Wednesday morning.  This time there was a surgery to put his port into his chest prior to administering Ifosfomide.  Pretty soon time becomes irrelevant.  All the days and minutes blend into one long hospital stay filled with moments of work and worry. 

     When Mark has energy and isn't too sick, we have been working.  A LOT.  This is the end of the quarter so we have correlation meetings, updates to file on each of our clients, and billing.  I've been taking over more and more of that part of our business. 

    When he is super tired and sick, then I worry.   I do all I can to improve each situation, but we're so limited.  Things don't go the way they tell you it's going to.  Plans are made and broken frequently.  Mark is tired of telling his story over and over to every single doctor, nurse, and aid that pops thier head in here.  We get one of these about every 15 minutes, round the clock, especially when the IV machines like to sound off the alarms.  The highlight of the day is sitting or walking on the patio, and the carrot cake.  Room service makes a mean carrot cake, and Mark orders it for every meal but can't finish it (what to do, what to do :)

   The Princess and the Pea, you know, the fairytale about the girl who was so sensitive that she couldn't sleep due to a pea on the bottom of her stack of mattresses?  Anyway, I think we're related.  I never thought I was picky, but hey, these chair/couch beds suck!!!!!  Last time I was here it was a newer couch bed, and with my foam pad on top, it was great.  This time, it was not good enough.  It has several different heights on the pull out sections, and a huge gap between the two sides. After the first night here, waking up with a stiff neck and shoulder, and restless sleep, I followed Mark's advice and bought a double-bed blow up.  It fits perfectly on top, and with the additional foam pad, my own bedding and pillows, I am a happy camper.  The first night I slept on it, I made "sheet angels" because I was so happy.  I went on to have wonderful dreams, like one where Mark and I were hanging out with friends at an outdoor concert with John Denver, who took my request to play, "Rocky Mountain High".  It was a great party!  Mark can actually come hang out with me on my bed, and it's funny because just a little while ago he was getting so sleepy but said he didn't want to fall asleep because he would miss my company.  I sang Aerosmith, "Don't wanna miss a thing" and he laughed.

     This has been a difficult week.  I haven't been returning phone calls to inquiring family and friends because I've gotten so depressed and overwhelmed lately.  I know I'll be OK.  I know that I don't have the choice not to press on.  I know lots of people are loving on us and praying for us, but it is so discouraging sometimes.  When the spiritual message that was brought to us today, was the exact same message that a friend had emailed me, I paid attention.  It was a beautiful reminder that the Savior loves us and has suffered all with us and for us.  He is the answer to our heartache.  All will be made for our good in due time. 

     I look forward to returning home tomorrow evening.  I look forward to the hugs and kisses of our children.  I look forward to traveling through the canyons to get another peek of color before the leaves drop.  I love this time of the year.  I am so thankful for Ariel and my mom for watching over our children this week.  I hear they have had many adventures and are happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment